Yadi Yadi Yadda

Saturday, January 06, 2007

3 Wise Men

Today many Spanish countries (Cuba included) celebrate the visit from the 3 Wise Men. This is a special time for children because this is the day that they receive their presents (Unlike US children-who get their gifts on Dec. 25). My family adopted the American custom when we came to the US. I guess it was too awkward for my parents to wait till Jan. 6 when all the other kids were out on the street enjoying their new bikes etc. I can only imagine what I would have put them through :( I was reading the story of the 3 Wise Men to my Grandchildren one night and I told them of the Cuban practice of gift receiving. Well, if you were a child and you had just had a tremendous Christmas, the prospects of Jan. 6th bringing more gifts looks really good! Hey after all, it worked for Baby Jesus. We had to make a small compromise due to the fact that we live in a modern and-not-so perfect world. Mackenzie would be gone this week-end and would not be there on the said day. So hey, we asked the Wise Men to get on their camels a little early. They agreed and my Granddaughters made a tent using the couch , the love seat, some sheets and blankets. However, their Mima is currently unemployed (I’m requesting your prayers that I will find a very good job) therefore, I gave them fair warning that the gifts would be very small. On Thursday night after church service the 3 Wise Men (Bryan, Kezia and Myself) went to the holy land of Wally World and hit the clearance racks. The children had lined their shoes in the living room awaiting their gifts. The two older children got three gifts according to custom, a gigantic pen, a pad and a Junie B. Jones Book. The smaller children not being old enough to understand the story, only got one gift (however, their gift cost more than their older siblings). Kezia and I awoke that morning, went to Panera, and bought the Baker’s Doz. of bagels for a special Wise Men breakfast. We then spent a portion of the day at the park. By the time we got home and everyone went to where they were suppose to-go-to, Kenzie and her Daddy ended up treating the Wise Men and one of their wives, to vittles at Olive Garden. We had a great day, I think will do this again.
posted by Perfectly Aged at 7:25 AM

5 Comments:

I will hope and pray that my daughter doesn't read this and decide that she has some Spanish blood and "needs" more presents on January 6th! :D

8:21 AM  

BTW, I enjoy your site Gloria. You should go for a job as a columnist.

8:22 AM  

You'll never guess who this is but it is so good to know you are back in florida. By the way this is Carlito, you know Mayda and Manolos' middle son. You know I from time to time remmember the many weekends I spent at your mom and dads house and what a good friend your brothers were to me.
I believe the last time I saw them was at your grandmothers funeral. My wife (debbie)found your web site and your children and grandchildren are beautiful. We finished with 4 kids.
3 boys and 1 girl.

We don't live in miami, we have moved to Plant city since '92.
As you could see we're not too far from you. Please write back.

11:34 AM  

by the way you could reach us at
familiagrande@aol.com

11:38 AM  

My kids look like HILLBILLIES!!!!!!

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home