Yadi Yadi Yadda

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Hello 2007

There is something comforting in traditions, they never change. I remember a long, long, time ago in the little big town of Miami, my family had some traditions that my Grandchildren are now participating in. I remember standing beside my mother as she told me that the New Year would be arriving at 12 midnight (that magical hour that was so important to Cinderella) as a fresh newborn little baby, and the old year would be leaving us now as a white bearded old man, hunched over and feeble. I remember her saying that we would need a bucket of water because we wanted to wash away the old year. Little did I know just how much I would want to wash away the pain, the heartache and the unpleasant things the old year had left behind. Then, we would welcome the new year with as much noise as possible. Do you have any idea how much fun this is to a small child who is usually told to be quiet and is not allowed to be up that late? My Mother would give all four of us-Mandy, Raulie, Jonathon and I a pot with a big ole’ spoon and we would open the front door and bang our pots and pans as loud as we could, and shout at the top of our lungs, “Happy New Year, World!” To this day I cannot do this without tears in my eyes and a big ole’ lump in my throat.

I now realize just how much impact is behind this statement, God only knows what this New Year will bring and take away. God help us all (especially Us who have elderly parents). Then came my favorite part, 12 grapes, 12 wishes to the New Year. Now I know that wishes are not factual, but every single wish is made with great expectation and thoughtful consideration, after all 12 is not that many, and I am gonna make sure that everyone is important to me :)


I remember growing up and doing this very thing with my four little MunchKins. Throughout their life I would make sure the tradition did not die. Now, living in my daughter’s house, I find the mother of the house (Not Me) going to the store and making sure that she has 12 grapes for every member in her household. I find my wonderful saved Son in Law in the kitchen gathering the water to wash away the old year, even though Bry is not Cuban, he doesn’t make light of our tradition (Oh, how I love him :)

I am so glad to see this year go, I want it washed really good (Oh, how I miss you Eddie and
Tia Victoria-no one will ever replace you. How I wish I could turn back the hand of time and be more careful on that dreadful staircase. I would love to have my old bones back in my ankle without any plates or pins or pain.)

I gather on the front porch of my daughters house, once again with tears in my eyes, and yes, the lump is still there in its rightful place as I hold Olivia in my arms. I watch Mackenzie, Spencer, Little Bryan and I along with Jule and Bry welcome the New Year. I almost slip on the old year’s water. The kids scream at the top of their lungs “Happy New Year!”
I yell “Whoooooooo!!!!!” and hear my Son in Law's reprimand “Mima!”, but I don’t care this is New Year, and this is our tradition. I’m so glad to let go of this year, I welcome the New Year once again. The pots and pans are clanging full force, we hear the distant sound of the fireworks on the beach side and chide ourselves for not going there instead. It sounds like thunder or the distant roar of cannons. I watch the front neighbors light click on. He doesn’t yell at us, instead they join in and they start letting off firecrackers.

By now Isabella Maria is sweetly sleeping inside, oblivious to the racket we are making outdoors. It’s not worth it to us to disturb the sleeping angel and head for the beach, so from a distance we enjoy the noise. I can hear gunshots, and fireworks going of all around us, I smile as we head into the quiet of the house. Once again I’m looking forward to the best part. We tell the children to make each wish count, as they eat a grape for each of the coming months that this year will give us. Somewhere in Alabama, Kezia is gathering her grapes and making her silent, secret wishes (No one is suppose to know what you wished for, or else they don’t come true, hehe) and somewhere in Gatlingburg my Sons will be doing the same thing in the company of my brothers and their families.

My Mother silently waits by the phone, I don’t call because she is elderly now and I don’t want to awaken her, just in case her and Dad fell asleep. But she is very much beside me and always will be :)


posted by Perfectly Aged at 11:29 AM

3 Comments:

Awww, that is so nice.
I miss you guys so much. And I'm sure you can hear about it from Kez. I didn't get to see her and I was very disappointed about it. I missed the entire FM due to the kids being sick one right after the other. I'm calling it "Follow the leader". LOL

Take care of yourself, your ankle and all those babies! Tell your 'new' son in law to stay encouraged and that I like his new baby...and then give Jule and hug from me and a big HI!

Hope to see you all soon.

maybe in June?

6:07 PM  

My Sisterfriend Gloria
I ate 12 of Kezia's "grapes"!
I also tried to be thoughtful of what I wished for as well. I wished for things that could be prayed for.
I love and appreciate you and I am glad you are "home", I love Alabama and I NEVER want to leave but every time I go back to FL I think I appreciate the beauty that is there even more.

7:28 PM  

Thank you Sis K.
She told me you did :) I say;
Grow where you are planted.
God replanted you in AL and it has been good for you and I am so very happy for you! I love and miss you much, anytime you get to missing the Spanish moss come see me, I'll join you at Denny's for coffee, hehe :)

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home