Yadi Yadi Yadda

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Reflections

Home is the place where I can be Me. It is the place where you never really realize what you had until you loose it. It is the place that deep in your soul, you can feel its heartbeat. This is something you cannot explain, but yet, you learn to take the good and the bad it has to offer because your roots hold you firm and steady and you know that this is where you belong, you are at ease, you are home.

This does not mean that you do not love, respect and appreciate other places, on the contrary you do. It just means that you know that home awaits for you. And you know what to expect.

My home is the land of the Bearded Trees (better known as Spanish Moss) much Water and Heat! It is the land of Flip Flops and Sunglasses, Fresh Fish, and Sun. We are home to the Space Shuttle (If you have never seen a lift-off you are missing something awesome) and the Oldest city in the US (there are still traces of my ancestors the Spaniards). We are home to Palm Trees, Jetties and Lighthouses, Flamingos and the Ibis (I love you Sebastian always have and always will). My home is rather menacing. It is a land where the alligator roams in abundance and threatens mankind. Not only do we deal with these creatures, we learn to coexist with Snakes, Roaches, Fruit Flys (Yuck), Gnats and Mosquitos (Ouch :( as well as Hurricanes ( a true Floridian's adrendelin kicks in with each warning and Gale wind we feel-regardless of whether we stay or whether we choose to flee-by the way when I was a kid we did not flee like we do today, however we did not have Monster storms like we do today either...hmmm) Noreasters, Tornadoes (like the one we had on Christmas day 2006 that touched down between our home and the home we were celebrating Christmas in, and barely missed my Son in Law's Grandmother, who was on her way home), we have Riptides, Beach Errosion, Fires and Lightening storms (Central FL is called Lightening Alley) and if you do not believe this is extreemly dangerous, that's okay by me, (I lost a dear friend in 2006 to lightening, I respect it). Oh, I almost forgot and foreigners AKA retiree's folks from other places that always dreamt of living here :) We host Tourists, Bike week, Race week, Spring Break and Disney World. We share our playground :)

That's why when you look out on the swamp, you may see some very scraggly looking barren deadness, not much color or beauty jumps out at you, but to a Floridian we see land that is full of life and color. We see a sky that strecthes out as far as the eye can see without any hinderance to show us the most beautiful of sunsets. And if you are lucky, you may feel the breeze blow accross your face and leave a slight scent of salt. The Sea and Water dominate my home, after all it is a Penninsula. The roar of the waves soothes my spirit and welcomes me.

Enjoy the song, enjoy my reflections of home :)
posted by Perfectly Aged at 10:51 PM

3 Comments:

Your comments remind me of going to California...

All my life I had heard it called the "golden state".

I got out there and all that "gold" was just a bunch of dried up grass. Being from East Tennessee with its lush greenness, dried up grass did not impress me. To me it just looked like a place that needed a good rain.

My opinion did not change it for those who loved it.

6:05 AM  

Yeah, you gotta love it... Never had the pleasure to go that far(CA)
but I find that I have a divided love. East TN will always be God's country to me :)but I have a Floridian's heartbeat :) I love ya Sis M. missed not being there this year.

9:58 AM  

I guess you have to grow up here to appreciate the small things. Cheri Owen said it pretty good. She said she went back home and one of the things she missed the most was the moss hanging from the trees. Its really the small things in florida you end up loving. If you don't love weather and skies that can be a million colors in the evenings you probably won't like florida. I agree with mom though I can go anywhere in the world and wonder how people don't believe in God. Its really amazing to look at a sky when it looks like God took his whole afternoon to paint it, or to be in the ocean and look all around you not to find land for at least a couple days. I love goin to see new places but I always can't wait to get home.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home