Yadi Yadi Yadda

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Adventure




The quest for adventure, or as Webster defines it: "from the Latin res adventura, a thing about to happen, chance." Has been long sought after by mankind. Early explorers found “New Worlds.”

Settlers, trod across unknown territories and modern day man has become an adrenaline junkie. I’ve known men that find great pleasure in disloyalty, and the thrill of getting away with an indiscretion. They find thrill in getting away/out smarting their mate. To them this is an adventure. I know that we can label this as sin, and indeed it is. However, I think that sometimes people get tired of the mundane and common, therefore they think that if they seek adventure or acheive change they will attain what they are searching for. Oh, I am not excusing them by no means, but I find that adventure can be found in the most minute of places. I myself prefer those things that are sure. I'll gladly stay on the ground while you swing from your bungee cord or watch as you drop from the sky with your parachute. As for me, life is an adventure. Life will challenge you, no change at all gives you security and promotes confidence. Change enables you to dig deep inside and shows what you are made of and to rise far above your expectations and your fears.

Today was my Son in Law’s day off and we had a picnic. We visited Hontoon Island. First of all the island is only accessible by ferry. Now, when you are a child this can be quite an adventure. It was a chilly day for FL as we crossed the Saint John’s River and felt the sting of change in the weather. The children were excited. They laughed, played and even posed for pictures. We love to capture the moments.

The memories of long ago outings on this island were revived. Once, a very severe and sudden lightning storm came upon us. My children and Bradley Owen were out on the river in canoes. As we reminisce, one of the rangers spoke up and said that he remembered the incident. I was a little skeptical about this, however, he assured me that he remembered Me in my despair. He even remembered how he had responded by saying; “Ma’am we cannot go out in this weather, they will find a place to wait out the storm” Julia confirmed that she remembered the rangers response. I can only imagine the state I must of been in to be remembered by this man after so many years. This river is infested with alligators,and we all know that there are plenty of snakes however, God in his great mercy protected our children that day. I have never forgotten it.

Julia and I walked in the small museum (which was not only nice and warm but it also provided a place to feed Olivia). As I browsed the artifacts, I was reminded of the ancient civilization of the Native Americans. A people who left their mark on our history, sometimes simply in the process of hunting for food (arrow heads) or even in the process of eating their food (there is a mount called Turtle Mound, which was made by the accumulation of the discarded shells). I’ve learned that adventure comes in many ways and forms. It can be the simple task of everyday survival. It comes in enjoying the time that we have with our loved ones. We can find adventure in the simple gifts that nature will offer us. The thrill of seeing a gigantic hornets nest (inside and out). The stillness of the water, on a winter’s day. The call of a bird, or the soft flutter of its wings as it flies above us.
posted by Perfectly Aged at 10:38 PM

2 Comments:

I just want you to know how much I like being able to sit down in my little space at home and catch up on news about you. It certainly makes me feel more "connected" to you to find out what you are doing from time to time.

I can tell you are "basking" in your family and in your return to home.

I love you, Sister.

5:36 AM  

WOW mom you should send those pictures to the parks website. They look great. I had fun to but it was way to cool for me. I just enjoy being with everybody. I keep expecting to wake up and watching you drive back home. I love you and I'm proud of you for who you are. We've got to get Mrs.Cash on this blog so she'll have something to do.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home